Minneapolis dome collapses because of heavy snow

The Minneapolis Metrodome, home of the Minnesota Vikings football team, recently collapsed during a snow storm. The executive director of the Metrodome said that the extent of the damage has yet to be assessed.
Areas of Minnesota were hit with a blizzard that dumped 20 inches of snow. According to meteorologists the storm was one of the five largest to have ever hit Minnesota.
This is not the first time the Metrodome has collapsed due to excessive amounts of snow. It deflated in 1981, 1982, and 1983, each time due to tears caused by heavy snow.
The Vikings’ National Football League game against the New York Giants on Sunday, Dec. 12, was rescheduled to Monday, Dec. 13, because of the obvious damage, but it was not certain if the damage could be repaired by then.


Senator speaks out against tax cut for over 8 hours

In Washington, D.C., Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders fought Obama’s proposed tax cut for more than eight hours in the Senate. His speech began at 10:24 a.m. and did not end until 7 p.m. that evening. Sanders is an independent who tends to side with the Democrats, but he declared the tax bill would only increase the national debt and would give tax breaks to the millionaires “who don’t need it,” according to Sanders.
He noted that he might be repeating his points, but for the eight-hour span he blasted Republicans for their “hypocrisy” in supporting tax cuts for the wealthy while also complaining about national debt. He attempted to rouse the sympathy of the Senate by reading letters written by families who can’t pay their heating bills.
Despite this long display of protest to the bill, the Senate was expected to approve the bill and send it to the House in the next few weeks.


Wayward sea lion dodges busy traffic on Oregon freeway

In Yachats, Oregon on December 11, a sea lion that lost its way from the Pacific Ocean got an escort from state troopers off the highway. The animal was reported to have entered the US Highway 101 through a state park.
It scooted and slid a few miles while weaving in and out of traffic for about half an hour. To prevent futher danger for the sea lion, animal rescuers blocked a quarter mile of the freeway to ensure the sea lion’s safety.
The local animal rescue units used plastic boards and batons as they flanked the sea lion and tried to guide it back to the ocean.
The sea lion was escorted by a large procession of rescue personnel and Oregon residents as it was led back home into the safety of the Pacific Ocean, which was only about a quarter of a mile away from the highway.